Monday 17 December 2012

2012 Looking Back from Different Angles


As we approach the end of 2012, baseball fans, without any actual baseball to evaluate, are either looking forward to 2013, or looking back on the events of 2012.
The Mayans approved of this logo.
Funny thing is, I don't enjoy making predictions very much. I have no problem reading them, but they really aren't my cup of tea. Something about looking back and realising how frequently you were wrong, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Who needs a bad taste in the mouth? Not I! And, as a result, not you either.
 
Looking back, then, seemed to be the more enjoyable thing to do. Surely I couldn't have covered every magic moment in 2012 in just a few posts? Of course not. I decided to enlist the help of a few of my Internet friends with this retrospective, and a few of them agreed to give me a Magical Moment that stood out for them in 2012.



The first post in our Magical Moments review comes to us from Matt at House of the Bluebird, a fellow who you can also find on twitter at @Matt_HBB. Naturally, I encourage you to give him a follow, as he's both thoughtful and engaging with his tweets and his website.

Matt wrote a piece about one of the season's more absurd looking occurrences, which grew out of a disputed home run call. We call it The Pantomime Home Run. Enjoy!

The second article in our looking back series comes from Ruhee Dewji, who first came to my attention when she guest posted at Infield Fly about how a new fan sees baseball. She has her own thoughts about baseball at www.doubleswitching.com. Like all my guest posters, she is on twitter, and worth a follow @ruhee_. 

Ruhee's 'other team', when the Blue Jays aren't playing, is the San Francisco Giants, and her magic moment is a reminder that uncertainty in baseball can cause both pain and joy, especially in the playoffs. Check out Barry Zito in Elimination Game.

The third, and likely final article in our series was penned (typed?) by Minor Leaguer, who has been a big booster for this very blog, since the day he first found out about it. He follow rule #1 of the internet without fail. I would like to return said support, you should follow him on twitter @Minor_Leaguer and check out the work of he and his compatriots at Bluebird Banter.

Minor Leaguer also found magic in the playoffs, and entertains us with the tail of one time Blue Jay Marco Scutaro's journey into playoff immortality in Blockbuster.

No comments:

Post a Comment